Greg except that it's buggy
It's a great solution for easily tracking what food you're eating and the nutritional value of your meals. It's pretty easy to use, good categorization. The suggestions of what to eat are helpful without being overdone and annoying. Be focus is on overall healthy eating, and the diary and search tools make that easy.
The interface isn't great looking. There's yellow and red font in places that make it a bit hard to read. A lot of times, the search results won't load and you have to restart the app. Otherwise, it's great!
LOVE it, and can be improved
I have Crohn's Disease and short bowel syndrome, am underweight and not getting enough calories and nutrition. This app has been better than I've found to help me see what my everyday intake is and where I need to make changes. It clearly shows me my nutrition gaps and offers ideas on how to close them, while providing a user-friendly and pleasant interface. There are some foods that could be added, but it's easy for a user to add the nutrition info themselves.
A few things that I'd like to see improved:
1) After entering what/how much of a food I've eaten, that data seems to be accurately added to the graphs and overall daily nutrition data, however when it shows up on the main food diary page, the amounts revert back to the pre-set amounts, not what I've entered for my serving at that time on that day. I'd like to be able to see the serving size I entered and calories for that particular serving at a glance on the main food diary page, not the pre-set amount.
2) When I tap an entry which I entered earlier in the day, it would be nice if it showed me nutrition data for that particular serving at that data point, rather than taking me back to the pre-set page for me to enter in a new serving.
3) A function within the app that lets me enter in a recipe and the app figures nutrition data for that recipe.
I'm really grateful for this app. It's giving me great feedback.
Bait and Switch
Looks like a great app, but it's not free as advertised. In order to access the daily nutrition tracker and food database (the most important part of the app) you must pay $3. Dishonest marketing design.
Don't Waste Your Money
This company has the worst customer service on the planet. I need to reset my password, and I've sent 4 messages through the app to retrieve the password reset information on two separate days. I've tried contacting them through the website. Both through their online form and by directly contacting them through their email address on the site (which is a gmail address, BTW). All in all, I've sent 8 messages over the space of 2 and a half days, just trying to get a password reset, and I've heard nothing. They obviously haven't even set a "robo-response" that states, "We have your message and will get to you shortly." Honestly, the entire password reset should be a simple robe-email response where you can reset your password, but these people can't even figure that one out? Save your money and look elsewhere.
Great potential but many issues
I am tracking my nutrients to know my intake, specifically iron, folate, calcium and vitamin d. This app is the best of all that I've tried. That means it will track your macro and micro nutrients.
That said, there are many issues that should not be present in an app that costs $. Some simple time-saving fixes:
1. allow copying of previous day items with edited amounts (not default values- this is a super annoying one).
2. Be able to edit foods from usda food chart to make them our own. For example, usda gives no values for omega-3 for oily fish!?
3. Make different versions of recipes (not just over-write them when changing) also there should be a rubric for weight of recipes, this would allow a much more accurate entry of portion size
4. What's up with web-recipe entry? Not functional yet?
5. Why no caffeine tracking?
6. Give us some idea of when these fixes will be implemented, not just "we added it to the list" response.
Looking forward to this little app fulfilling its potential!
Love in spite of bugs
By if only it worked.
Ever since using a professional nutrition program in college I've been trying to find an app or program like this. It is a great tool at keeping track of overall nutrition which is what I was looking for. I was able to find several nutrition gaps in my diet, recognize that I did have the symptoms of deficiency too, and start tweaking the foods I'm eating and taking specific supplements to fill those gaps I simply couldn't fill. It has been a very positive addition to my lifestyle and I've had several of the symptoms, like fatigue and low mood, disappear too.
I took off one star for two reasons. It can sometimes be glitchy. I've had it freeze and crash several times while trying to add foods. Usually it starts back up no problem though.
And the other reason is they are sometimes lacking in terms of what foods are available to add. They have most American fresh foods and a few snack foods like Cheez its and crackers, but they are lacking in some things that seem they should have considering some of the obscure foods they DO have in there like jackfruit and various little known berries. They don't have some types of fish, like barramundi, and some of the more obscure types of produce available like dragonfruit, but even baby spinach and different varieties of apples or oranges are missing. Overall though, it's a great tool and I can usually find a close enough food to use in place.
Good start, has potential but needs some work
This app is probably the best one out there right now for people wanting to log more than just macros and to keep track of nutrition more in depth but it hits a wall with the lack of searchable foods. I'm hoping they'll keep working on adding more. Otherwise it's useless for tracking nutrition when you can't log a majority of your food. Also there are some glitches when trying to connect to the web to add recipes. I wish there was a scanner too. Good start and I hope you keep working on it! I really want to like this app!
By ambi 2
This app is amazing! It not only gives you all of the nutritional information for what you eat, but also gives suggestions on what will fill your nutritional gaps. I bought because I needed to increase magnesium in my diet, and it has helped tremendously. Very user friendly! Highly recommend!
I am in love with this app!
I have been tracking my plant based vegan diet for the last few days and love it. It's also amazing because you can add individual recipes and see the whole nutritional picture.
My only part I'm not crazy about in the app is that I wish it would give a saturated fat breakdown and differentiate processed sugar from whole foods. But it's still wonderful.
Love the look of the App and quick/ helpful customer service!
I really like the Wholesome app and would recommend it to anyone looking to track their calorie/nutrition goals for three reasons:
1) I really like being able to click on a picture of a food and then seeing the nutrition facts and the benefits of each food (customized to your needs via what you entered)- it helps me stay motivated to eat healthier because I can see what good things fruits, veggies, grains, nuts, and seeds are doing to help keep my body healthy!
2) The pictures of the foods are also aesthetically pleasing and I like seeing what foods I ate and the quantities of them rather than just words like other diet apps. Plus, you can add and upload pictures of other foods not in the database and add your own recipes in the same fashion which I like as well.
3)I got a quick and helpful response when I needed to find my password again (after losing it and some other issues) and I was able to get back to using the app with all my features in a short time after sending a help-email! (Thank you Jessica from the Wholesome team :))